Our Return To The Chiefs 5K

So my husband sent me an email and said to sign us up for the Chiefs 5K. I was surprised until I saw that they were returning to the stadium instead of the practice field. The first time we did the Chiefs 5K was with the kids when they were one and half and Hubby pushed them in the stroller. It wasn’t too early in the morning and we had fun ending the race on the field. We played with the kids and got pictures of the them with the Chiefs cheerleaders. We just haven’t been back because Hubby thought it wouldn’t be as fun out on the practice field.

My smaller size shirt.

My smaller size shirt


This time the race started at 8 PM. It was still stroller friendly but we thought the kids should be in bed that late and my in-laws said they would babysit. It was nice to not have to start in the back, but we still got behind quite a few slower runners. I blame part of that on the fact that my husband was poking around in the car for so long.

We forgot packet pick-up again so we went early to get that and put our stuff back in the car. The shirts were a lot nicer this year than the last time we ran the race. Although it did not indicate we were season ticket holders like the shirt we got for the first race we did. I thought my shirt might be too big. I’m not sure if it is because I lost weight or if the shirts ran big. I didn’t want to make a fuss, so I just took my shirt that I signed up for and headed back to the car.

My husband thought people would be tailgating and having fun, but he didn’t seem to want to join in on any of it when we got back to the car. He just kept messing with his phone and fiddling around with other stuff. My frustration turned into a necessity when I told him I needed to go to the bathroom but that didn’t seem to hurry him up any. He finally gave in and came with me after several threats of going off by myself. I was willing to go alone and find him later, but he kept telling me to wait for him. I was worried that the porta potties would be gross but they had a regular bathroom in the building where we got our packets. Once that was all done Hubby wanted to stay at the top of the stairs by the building instead of lining up. Now I’ll agree it was hot out and the car was air conditioined and being in a crowed can be even hotter, but it was a big pain trying to pass all those people at the beginning of the race too. I was just all kinds of irritated by the time the race started. I keep telling him we should just each do our own thing at the beginning and meet at the end in order to keep the peace.

Before we started they sang the national anthem. We turned to look at the flag and the drummers that were there for entertainment couldn’t hear and kept drumming. So these goof-balls standing on top of a bench or something were still dancing and well goofing around a bit. Finally toward the end of the song, the drummers stopped and the goof-balls figured out that everybody was not turned to watch them dance but to look at and respect the flag behind them. They promptly got down and turned toward the flag as well.

When we took off there was quite a bit of a clog. We ran up on the grass a little to pass some people. It didn’t take as long this time to get pass the slower people like it did when we had the stroller. That is of course because we were not in the very back like last time. The course was very different this time. They took us out and around the stadium but about the time my Garmin went off at the two mile mark, we started to head into the stadium. I thought, “Oh my gosh! We are doing 1.1 miles in the stadium! How are they going to do that?” Well they took us in and up what I call a round about on one side of the stadium. Once we got to the top we ran along the back side and then down one level and back another side. Then we ran down another back side.We went up one level on another corner and ran down that side. By the time we made it to the other corner, they ran us all the way back down and across to the outside onto the field. We ended on the fifty yard line like the first time we did the race.

I noticed that we did not get a medal this time. I’m not sure when they stopped doing that since we skipped a year or two. They also had a chip in the bib and timed results. The last time we ran it, it was not timed. My official time was 0:29:36.75. My Garmin said I did 2.82 miles in 0.29:48.4. Hubby and I discussed what could have gone wrong with the distance. I remembered reading this article here. The best we could figure is that maybe the satellites could not reach our Garmins at some points in the stadium.

We hung around a lot longer this time. Maybe because it was night and a little cooler now. We both purchased a Budweiser. Budweiser is not our first choice but they did not have much in the way of choices for the beers. I really liked the cans though. They were red and we thought it had something to do with the Chiefs but it said Royals on it. I was actually one of the few people wearing a blue Royals shirt. I do not have much in the way of red running shirts and on a hot night like that I was not wearing cotton.


We saw some interesting things while we were there. We saw they had Jenga set up at two spots. They had one end set up where you could try to kick a short field goal. The other end had mannequin type things dressed out in Chiefs football gear with pads and all. The head was missing so you or your kid could get a picture. I was so ready to go and get some food. I think I was getting a little “hangry.” Hubby took off his shoes and was just chillin’ walking around in the grass. I already tried to stretch on the field and my legs were itchy from the grass. I was not about to take my shoes off and get my feet itchy.

When Hubby finally decided to leave, we left through the locker rooms because we decided to do the tour this time. I remember when we did the stadium tour several years ago they said it was bad luck to step on the logo in the locker room. I wondered how they did these do it yourself tours with so many people coming in and without a guide to tell them. When we got in I saw it was “fenced” off but I could still see little kids stepping on it.

The logo in the locker room.

The logo in the locker room.

We left our coupon for the store that came with our packet in the car. So I hope we get a chance to use it before it expires. We did stop by packet pick-up again to see if they had a smaller size shirt for me. They were fine with the trade. Hubby went back to the car to get my other shirt to give back to them while I used the bathroom again. He came back after what seemed a long time. The gentleman at pick-up even asked how far we parked because it seemed a while since he left. I asked him what took so long as we walked outside and Hubby showed me he moved the car closer.

After we left we got some food at Old Chicago. We used to go there a lot before we had the Littles. They are pretty family friendly and they are running a deal where kids eat free this summer with a full price entrée. So we’ve been going there a lot again. I guess my in-laws didn’t expect us to go out and eat which seems weird since they know we didn’t have dinner before we left. They didn’t seem too upset when we got back, but we would have been home a little earlier if the service had not been slow that night. We usually don’t have that kind of trouble, but we did that night.

All and all it was a fun run. I felt a little nauseous on the round abouts like I was on an amusement park ride, but it was still fun. I think if Hubby wasn’t testing me and I wasn’t so “hangry” it would have been more fun. We might do it again next year.


One thought on “Our Return To The Chiefs 5K

  1. Pingback: Another One With The Chiefs | Goofy For Twins

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s